Lady Of Grace

...A Work In Progress...

When Jesus spoke again to the people he said, "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life." JOHN 8:12

FOR IT IS BY GRACE YOU HAVE BEEN SAVED, THROUGH FAITH - AND THIS NOT FROM YOURSELVES, IT IS THE GIFT OF GOD - NOT BY WORKS, SO THAT NO ONE CAN BOAST. FOR WE ARE GOD'S WORKMANSHIP, CREATED IN CHRIST JESUS TO DO GOOD WORKS, WHICH GOD PREPARED IN ADVANCE FOR US TO DO." EPHESIANS 2:8-10

Tuesday, April 19, 2005

THE COOKIES... mmmmmmm

I promised my cousin Denise that I would give her "the cookie" recipe. This recipe is for shortbread cookies ((the best I may add))... and a wonderful dip icing that is the best ever! We used to bake these cookies in the bakery that Thelma and I had worked at... and we sold gozillians (another one of those bakery words I have spoken of) of them! At the end of the poor bakery's life... before it closed... the local hospital in town made a record cookie order. The hospital used to hold a fund raiser every year for the Children's Miracle Network every Valentines day. They would charge a dollar for each cookie... and the money went to the Network. (at least they did for the last few years that I worked at that bakery.) They were not the only ones who placed large orders on holidays... but valentine's day always seemed to be the worst next to Christmas. Well... on valentine's day the last year I worked there... the hospital called way ahead of time to "start" their order. I don't know how they did it... but they kept calling periodically and raising the amount of cookies they needed. That last valentines day... we started cutting out the shortbread cookie hearts a week or so ahead. We would let them cool... and box them up... and freeze them until the day (or two) before the order was to be picked up. The last order I ever participated in was over 2000 cookies. The manager at the bakery and I would take turns every day cutting out the cookies...(so one person wouldn't get sick of them). The day they were to be iced........ I was scheduled for an 8 hour shift..... just to ice the cookies and help package them... if I had time. Now... keep in mind... we had tons of other orders too... plus all of the tons we had to make for just the bakery. These cookies were very popular and very good. So I'm gonna share it. Why keep all the good stuff locked away in an old crusty cookbook somewhere... I say "share the love!"

Ok.... so here it is. Now remember... this cookie recipe has already been cut from a 5X or 6X batch down to a 1X batch... you will have to do some division and adjust all ingredients accordingly for just a small "homestyle" sized batch.

1X SHORTBREAD CUT OUTS

3 pounds sugar
4 pounds all purpose shortening
6 pounds pastry flour
1 ounce salt
1 pound 8 ounces whole eggs
1 ounce vanilla

Mix all ingredients in mixer until well incorporated. Roll out the cookies about 1/4 inch thick. Cut the cookies out with your favorite shaped cookie cutter. Bake at 350 degrees until slightly (only slightly) golden on the bottom egdes on parchment paper. Let them cool before moving them... and it works better to ice them if they are frozen.


WHITE FUDGE (COOKIE ICING)

10 pounds all purpose shortening
9 cans evaporated milk
50 pounds powdered sugar

*place shortening & milk in bottom of bowl
and sugar on top
MIX VERY LITTLE...1O SECONDS IN 3RD

This icing is best if kept in an air tight container in the fridge. To ice the cookies... warm the icing in a double boiler... or put it in the microwave and "watch and stir" often until it is thinner and easy to stir and it has a shine to it... do not get it too hot however. ((If you take the icing out of the fridge and it has a hard crust on the top... gently sprinkle with water and dump off excess... just to moisten the top layer slightly before heating it)). When the cookies are cooled... or frozen... stir the icing and dip the cookie top into the icing and use a flat spatula or knife edge to ease off the excess. Let the cookies stand so the icing will set up for a bit... them eat em!

I told ya they were large bakery sized recipies. Do a little of that math that you never thought you would ever need so the amount will fit into your bowl or mixer.... and make ya the best cookies in the world that will melt in your mouth!

My friend Thelma's husband, Butch, was craving some of these cookies and she needed the recipe. I have it somewhere in my spare room full of partially unpacked boxes... but I went 30 miles today to get it. The manager that I used to work with now owns his own bakery in a little town called Chewelah about 30 miles from where I live. **It is called "Go Nuts Donuts". It has a little painted donut man with red converse type sneakers on the window. Well worth stopping by if you are ever in the area.** I knew he would give it to me if I asked. My poor little toesies needed some time out... so we went down there to get it. Of course you know... I then needed one of his very delicious finger lickin good best in the entire universe apple fritters once I got there. So there Rich and I sat... each enjoying a cup of coffee and fritter... and visiting with an old friend. Not only that... when I asked for the recipe... he brought out the same old books... with the same old crust still on them!! EWWWW! His books need a clean up... but... they sure hold some of the best things inside! This is one time that the old saying is true... "Never judge a book by its cover!"


posted by ~Suzii~ at 11:26 PM

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


MySpace Icons

About Me

My Photo
Name: ~Suzii~
Location: Elm Grove, West Virginia, United States

I live each day the best I can. I thank God for every tiny little thing that I have. I would like to write the book that is in my heart to write... or should I say... finish it. God sees us at the core of who we are... and He still loves us anyway. He is the reason and purpose I exist in this world... and He has entrusted me with a family to care for... and with a heart to share with others how much He loves everyone. (This is a note to self... "Bring ye all the tithes into the storehouse, that there may be meat in mine house, and prove me now herewith, saith the LORD of hosts, if I will not open you the windows of heaven, and pour you out a blessing, that there shall not be room enough to receive it. Malachi 3:10")

View my complete profile

I will call upon the Lord! Who is worthy to be praised! So shall I be saved from my enemies! The Lord liveth and blessed be the Rock! And let the God of my salvation be exalted!
MySpace Icons
MySpace Icons PREVIOUS POSTS
MySpace Icons

Powered by Blogger


MySpace Icons
JellyMuffin.com - The place for profile layouts, flash generators, glitter graphics, backgrounds and codes
Myspace Codes

If I speak in the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal. If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but have not love, I am nothing. If I give all I possess to the poor and surrender my body to the flames, but have not love, I gain nothing. Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres. Love never fails. But where there are prophecies, they will cease; where there are tongues, they will be stilled; where there is knowledge, it will pass away. For we know in part and we prophesy in part, but when perfection comes, the imperfect disappears. When I was a child, I talked like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child. When I became a man, I put childish ways behind me. Now we see but a poor reflection as in a mirror; then we shall see face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I am fully known. And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love. ~1 Corinthians 13~  

>
MySpace Icons