Lady Of Grace

...A Work In Progress...

When Jesus spoke again to the people he said, "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life." JOHN 8:12

FOR IT IS BY GRACE YOU HAVE BEEN SAVED, THROUGH FAITH - AND THIS NOT FROM YOURSELVES, IT IS THE GIFT OF GOD - NOT BY WORKS, SO THAT NO ONE CAN BOAST. FOR WE ARE GOD'S WORKMANSHIP, CREATED IN CHRIST JESUS TO DO GOOD WORKS, WHICH GOD PREPARED IN ADVANCE FOR US TO DO." EPHESIANS 2:8-10

Monday, April 11, 2005

Story from Wenatchee World Newspaper...

The following is the story that was printed in the Wenatchee Daily World newspaper on April 10, 2005. They were kind enough to email us a copy and I would like to share it.


From: Abby Holmes
Date: 04/11/05 09:04:48
To: Bunting's
Subject: Re: donna van doran

A01 Story - Sunday - April 10, 2005

Man with new heart thanks woman who gave him life despite her own tragedy
By Michelle McNiel World staff writer

WENATCHEE -- Donna Van Doren sat at a picnic table Friday morning in Memorial Park with a bottle of sparkling cider and toasting glasses arranged neatly on a handmade quilt. Her shaky hands were folded tightly in her lap as she glanced nervously around the park.

Not far away, parked outside the Wenatchee Public Library, Rich and Suzii Bunting stood next to their sedan trying to work up the courage to walk into the park. Rich had been up most of the night with anxiety. They could see Van Doren sitting in the distance.

Then the couple, along with their 17-year-old daughter, Hannah, began slowly walking toward the woman whom they had never met but whose selfless generosity they credit with saving Rich's life four years ago.

Not sure they were the people she was waiting to meet, Van Doren, walking with a cane, met the family part way through the park. "Are you the Buntings?" she asked tentatively. After they said yes, tears began to fall down her weathered cheeks as she asked, "Can I hug you?"
Though they had never met, the Wenatchee woman and the Colville family had been inextricably linked since the death of Van Doren's grandson, 16-year-old Sam Brown, on June 15, 2001.

Brown had been at Wenatchee's Linden Tree Park when he jumped onto the front bumper of a friend's vehicle as it was driving around. The teen fell off and struck his head on the pavement.

After Brown was declared brain dead at Central Washington Hospital, Van Doren made the decision to donate his organs and tissue before life support was disconnected. Since both Brown's parents were dead, his grandmother had authority to make the decision.

At the same time, 200 miles to the northeast of Wenatchee, Rich Bunting was on a day-to-day wait for a call from his doctor that a donor heart had been found to replace his failing one. A mechanical heart pump implanted in his chest four months earlier was keeping him alive, but it wasn't expected to work for long. Bunting suffered from idiopathic dilated cardiomyopathy, a disorder with no cure in which the heart muscle is weakened and cannot pump blood efficiently.
Then the call came that a heart had been found. The Buntings raced to Sacred Heart Medical Center an hour away in Spokane. Van Doren was still at the Wenatchee hospital waiting for surgeons to finish and for her grandson to die.

Bunting, a certified nursing assistant before the heart defect left him unable to work, was one of several recipients who benefited from Brown's donated heart, liver, kidneys, eyes, lung, bone marrow, and skin tissue.

A year later, the Buntings sent a letter to the United Network of Organ Sharing to say they wanted to meet the donor's family. Van Doren also sent a letter, which was forwarded to the Buntings. Though her name was covered up, Rich Bunting admitted that he held the letter to a light to learn her identity. After waiting several days, he summoned the courage to call her.

"I cried afterward," Van Doren said. "I was just overwhelmed. Sam lives on."

It took three more years -- until Friday -- for both families to work up the nerve to actually meet.

Sitting around the park bench as traffic passed by on nearby Orondo and Chelan avenues, the Buntings and Van Doren drank the sparkling juice and toasted to Sam.

"He has been part of our daily lives for four years," Suzii Bunting said, adding that a picture of the boy sent to them by his grandmother hangs in their living room with other family photos. "I don't think a day has gone by that we don't mention how thankful we are for him."

The Buntings had a lot of questions for Van Doren. What was Sam like? Did he play football? Did he like fishing? What did he like to eat? Did he like lemons?

"Before the transplant I hated anything with lemons," said Rich, 41. "Now I can't get enough of them."

"Sam loved lemons," Van Doren said quietly.

She said Sam had overcome incredible hardship in his short life. His mother was murdered when he was just 19 months old, and he was sold by her killer to another couple. After police found him a few years later, he bounced between family members, foster homes and a group home. But he was still an outgoing, funny, athletic, "typical teenager" who liked to play drums, hang out with his friends and go fishing.

"I tell everybody that I'm raising two teenagers now," Suzii Bunting joked.

The Buntings gave Van Doren a necklace with three heart pendants on it -- one each for Suzii and Hannah Bunting and a single silver one representing the heart that Sam and Rich shared.
"It isn't much compared to what you gave me," Bunting said.

Though he's had few complications, Bunting said his body could still reject the heart and he takes 54 pills a day to try and prevent it from happening.

He said he wished more people would become organ donors.

Van Doren explained that she made the decision to donate her grandson's organs because he once asked her what the heart symbol on her driver's license meant. When she said it meant she wanted to donate her organs, he thought it was a cool idea.

"We thank God every day that you did," Suzii Bunting said.

The Buntings walked with Van Doren to her nearby apartment on Buchanan Street to look at pictures of Brown. Rich closely studied one of Brown at a school prom taken shortly before his death.

"He was a handsome boy," he said softly, touching his fingers to the picture and saying it brought "mixed emotions."

"I'm very sad that the accident happened. But if it hadn't, what would my outcome have been? If it wasn't for (Van Doren) and Sam, only God knows what would have happened to me next."--


It was a very emotional meeting... but one worth more than words can actually describe.

posted by ~Suzii~ at 1:14 PM

1 Comments:

Blogger ............... said...

I wish EVERYBODY could read this, Suze. I love you guys.

2:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


MySpace Icons

About Me

My Photo
Name: ~Suzii~
Location: Elm Grove, West Virginia, United States

I live each day the best I can. I thank God for every tiny little thing that I have. I would like to write the book that is in my heart to write... or should I say... finish it. God sees us at the core of who we are... and He still loves us anyway. He is the reason and purpose I exist in this world... and He has entrusted me with a family to care for... and with a heart to share with others how much He loves everyone. (This is a note to self... "Bring ye all the tithes into the storehouse, that there may be meat in mine house, and prove me now herewith, saith the LORD of hosts, if I will not open you the windows of heaven, and pour you out a blessing, that there shall not be room enough to receive it. Malachi 3:10")

View my complete profile

I will call upon the Lord! Who is worthy to be praised! So shall I be saved from my enemies! The Lord liveth and blessed be the Rock! And let the God of my salvation be exalted!
MySpace Icons
MySpace Icons PREVIOUS POSTS
MySpace Icons

Powered by Blogger


MySpace Icons
JellyMuffin.com - The place for profile layouts, flash generators, glitter graphics, backgrounds and codes
Myspace Codes

If I speak in the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal. If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but have not love, I am nothing. If I give all I possess to the poor and surrender my body to the flames, but have not love, I gain nothing. Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres. Love never fails. But where there are prophecies, they will cease; where there are tongues, they will be stilled; where there is knowledge, it will pass away. For we know in part and we prophesy in part, but when perfection comes, the imperfect disappears. When I was a child, I talked like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child. When I became a man, I put childish ways behind me. Now we see but a poor reflection as in a mirror; then we shall see face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I am fully known. And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love. ~1 Corinthians 13~  

>
MySpace Icons