Lady Of Grace

...A Work In Progress...

When Jesus spoke again to the people he said, "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life." JOHN 8:12

FOR IT IS BY GRACE YOU HAVE BEEN SAVED, THROUGH FAITH - AND THIS NOT FROM YOURSELVES, IT IS THE GIFT OF GOD - NOT BY WORKS, SO THAT NO ONE CAN BOAST. FOR WE ARE GOD'S WORKMANSHIP, CREATED IN CHRIST JESUS TO DO GOOD WORKS, WHICH GOD PREPARED IN ADVANCE FOR US TO DO." EPHESIANS 2:8-10

Monday, June 27, 2005

Be Careful What You Ask For... You Might Not Like What You Receive...

I have to start this post by telling you about a funny occurrence at work Sunday. I had a cake order for two cakes for a 50th wedding anniversary. The order said to decorate the cakes alike and they wanted "vibrant, bright flowers around the top edge of the cake for a border" and "think Hawaii". Ok... no problem! As I set up the cakes I was "putting my brain in Hawaii mode". What do I think of when I think of Hawaii... hmmmmm.....

Well, I thought of volcanoes and palm trees and the ocean and sandy beaches and lush green vegetation and of course flowers! "Vibrant, bright flowers". So I decided to create this Hawaiian masterpiece... out of a cake. It was rather easy really. I had done similar things in the past. I made a volcano out of a cupcake and icing... and I airbrushed lava down inside a little indentation in the top and had the color flowing down the side in three places. The volcano itself was blackish brown. Around that I airbrushed bright vibrant green and I put little plastic palm trees and icing grasses all over the green. Then I made a sand colored beach along the lush greenery... and I carefully sprinkled cinnamon and sugar along the beach area to look like sand. Then the ocean was airbrushed a vibrant blue and I took the back of a spatula and made "waves" with white icing pulling it up through the blue color. The bottom border was a vibrant blue and looked like waves. All around the top edge of the cake for the top border were flowers of vibrant pink, purple and orange with bright yellow centers and green leaves connecting them like a lei for the border. IT WAS FABULOUS!

I had finished the first one... but had not written the words on the cake yet... and the lady who ordered it called the store. She was wondering when they would be ready for pick up. I told her about another half hour to finish the second cake. I also told her about what I had done with the first one. I was so excited when I described it because it turned out awesome! The lady said "NOOOOOOO... I only wanted it iced plain white with bright flowers ONLY around the top edge. That won't do." I told her that I was glad that she had called and that it would be no problem to make it the other way and that we would just keep the cake with the scene for our cake case to sell.

She was the owner of a local restaurant in town and she placed the order for the cakes for the family member that was putting on the party. The family member just happened to be at the restaurant when she called and she wanted me to talk to her. I told her what I had told the other lady and how the cake had been decorated. She too agreed that the simpler cakes would be much better. I again said that it was no problem and that was that. I hurried to do two much plainer cakes for them. They were iced white... with vibrant green leaves for the bottom border... and just the bright colored flowers along the top edge for a border with the writing in the middle. EXACTLY WHAT THEY SAID THEY WANTED! ((I aim to please because the CUSTOMER IS ALWAYS RIGHT))

After I finished the cakes I had to hurry to the time clock to get to lunch. When I returned from lunch... one of the other bakery workers had seen two ladies "OOOOHING and AAAAAAHHHING" over the cake with the volcano and palm trees and lush oceanside beach. (My idea of a private secluded Hawaiian getaway) I had told them about having to remake the cakes... so she knew which cakes to give the lady when she came to pick them up. Anyways... She saw these ladies oogling over my masterpiece. She said their eyes were bright and shiny and their faces were lit up like they had just got the ultimate Christmas present! She... (being quite the little spit-fire)... walked over and asked if she could help them. They told her that they were here to pick up their cakes. Their eyes still all happy and glee filled instantly drooped beyond their knees when the bakery gal said... "Oh... these down here are your cakes! Aren't they pretty?"

Why can't people sometimes think beyond their own little boxes? Some people have enough creativity to drown a flea in. While I was decorating the volcano cake... all I could think of was... "They are probably going to have a Hawaiian theme anniversary party. Maybe they are going to retire there. Maybe they bought them surprise tickets for their first trip to Hawaii. Maybe they got engaged in Hawaii and they wanted it to be special for them." I wanted to go to the party!! Apparently their little box of crayons... were not quite like my BIG 64 COUNT CRAYOLA WITH THE SHARPENER!

I wonder if they kicked themselves for saying no to the masterpiece? I wonder if it would have actually been perfect for their party? I wonder if they are ever going to squelch the creativity of someone with a creative mind again? Perhaps they need a better party planner?

Deeper thoughts on this matter? Yep... I got 'em! Let's say that God is throwing us a party! How about a banquet in heaven! Sounds pretty great actually. Imagine all of the wonderful things! I picture getting ready to sit down with all the amazing people that you just know are going to be there... (Jesus... the disciples... your loved ones)... and being so excited and totally in awe. I imagine tables stretching on forever... enough to make room for everyone. The finest of everything sparkling and just absolutely gorgeous... and then... the person serving you sets a paper plate in front of you! Everyone else gets crystal and gold and the finest china... and you get a paper plate.

When you pray... do you ask for "just enough to get us by"?... Or... do you ask for "an over abundance to bless us and overflow into the lives of others"? I have been praying the latter of the two. I don't want to settle for something that is "just enough". God wants us to have "OUR HEARTS DESIRE"... and sometimes all we ask for is "just enough". I wanted to give that lady a cake beyond her wildest imagination...something she and her guests would talk about and never forget... and she wanted... just enough. Sometimes we need to think beyond our little box. We get so focused on what is one foot around us... we forget to see what lies beyond our own heads.

Psalm 37:4 "Delight yourself in the Lord and he will give you the desires of you heart."

Ecclesiastes 6:2 "God gives a man wealth, possessions and honor, so that he lacks nothing his heart desires, but God does not enable him to enjoy them, and a stranger enjoys them instead. This is meaningless, a grievous evil."

Psalm 23 "The Lord is my shepherd, I shall not be in want. He makes me lie down in green pastures, he leads me beside quiet waters, he restores my soul. He guides me in paths of righteousness for his name's sake. Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me. You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies. You anoint my head with oil; my cup overflows. Surely goodness and love will follow me all the days of my life, and I will dwell in the house of the Lord forever."

God wants to give us SO MUCH! Accept it! Receive it! Don't let someone else get what he has for you... don't miss out of the inheritance of the kingdom of God...

posted by ~Suzii~ at 4:49 PM

2 Comments:

Blogger ............... said...

Well, I'll tell ya what..."I" would have liked the volcano, palm tree, ocean cake myself over some plain ole everyday-flower-thing-that-everyone-else-wants! It's amazing how our imaginations differ so much as humans (and thank God), but if she wanted something "simple" why did she ask for something so "fab"? Don't we do the same thing with God? We ask for signs and wonders and thunder from the skies when all we want is "internal peace". Or, like your post, we ask for "a smaller helping" (out of guilt, I might add) when what we really (not "want") NEED is something more...

1:26 AM  
Blogger Joe said...

Now I'm hungry for cake.

God's abundance, too.

Please pray for my friend, Jeff, who is having leg surgery today.

7:45 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


MySpace Icons

About Me

My Photo
Name: ~Suzii~
Location: Elm Grove, West Virginia, United States

I live each day the best I can. I thank God for every tiny little thing that I have. I would like to write the book that is in my heart to write... or should I say... finish it. God sees us at the core of who we are... and He still loves us anyway. He is the reason and purpose I exist in this world... and He has entrusted me with a family to care for... and with a heart to share with others how much He loves everyone. (This is a note to self... "Bring ye all the tithes into the storehouse, that there may be meat in mine house, and prove me now herewith, saith the LORD of hosts, if I will not open you the windows of heaven, and pour you out a blessing, that there shall not be room enough to receive it. Malachi 3:10")

View my complete profile

I will call upon the Lord! Who is worthy to be praised! So shall I be saved from my enemies! The Lord liveth and blessed be the Rock! And let the God of my salvation be exalted!
MySpace Icons
MySpace Icons PREVIOUS POSTS
MySpace Icons

Powered by Blogger


MySpace Icons
JellyMuffin.com - The place for profile layouts, flash generators, glitter graphics, backgrounds and codes
Myspace Codes

If I speak in the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal. If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but have not love, I am nothing. If I give all I possess to the poor and surrender my body to the flames, but have not love, I gain nothing. Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres. Love never fails. But where there are prophecies, they will cease; where there are tongues, they will be stilled; where there is knowledge, it will pass away. For we know in part and we prophesy in part, but when perfection comes, the imperfect disappears. When I was a child, I talked like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child. When I became a man, I put childish ways behind me. Now we see but a poor reflection as in a mirror; then we shall see face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I am fully known. And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love. ~1 Corinthians 13~  

>
MySpace Icons