Lady Of Grace

...A Work In Progress...

When Jesus spoke again to the people he said, "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life." JOHN 8:12

FOR IT IS BY GRACE YOU HAVE BEEN SAVED, THROUGH FAITH - AND THIS NOT FROM YOURSELVES, IT IS THE GIFT OF GOD - NOT BY WORKS, SO THAT NO ONE CAN BOAST. FOR WE ARE GOD'S WORKMANSHIP, CREATED IN CHRIST JESUS TO DO GOOD WORKS, WHICH GOD PREPARED IN ADVANCE FOR US TO DO." EPHESIANS 2:8-10

Tuesday, December 20, 2005

The Little Pink Fairy Elf-Like Thing...

Every year... it amazes me. I desperately seek out the spirit of Christmas. I long to feel that warm and fuzzy feeling that people get when they are filled with the joy of Christmas. Every year... I search and search... and eventually I just give up saying... "Well... I will either get it... or I won't... we'll just have to wait and see I guess."

My last post about the Grinch... was my "Ok... I give up!"

My poor little fakey Christmas tree sat decorated only with lights, and a long bow of red ribbons that cascaded below my lighted angel that sits on top of the tree guarding all of it's "treasurous memories"... only for several days... no "treasurous memories" adornded it's branches.

Last night, while complaining about not finding my warm and fuzzyness... my dear and blunt husband said..."Well, It might help if you put some decorations on that poor tree. Dontchya think?" I admit... It looked pathetic.

I dreaded going through my decorations. Every year... when my dear, sweet husband, Rich... gets tired of the tree being up... it comes down in a flurry and is crammed into boxes. The boxes are then stashed far far away in the spare bedroom out of the way... so that the next year it will take a bulldozer to find them all. He can have the tree down in the blink of an eye... and when I get home from work on that given day... there are no traces of Christmas left to be found. The only hint that there even was a holiday might be the tiny little shreds of wrapping paper that got missed in the frenzy to get it all into the woodstove. (Which, I know you are not supposed to do... but try telling 'you know who' that!!) So, yeah... I dreaded going through my decorations.

Hannah is the official "ornament-puter-oner". I get the lights on (which next year... I am saving that step and getting a pre-lit tree! HA)... and she decorates it. This year I had a mess on my hands. I sat on the couch and went through each box. I picked up the first ornament... and six others were all hooked to it. I carefully unhooked the hook out of the little pink fairy looking elf-like thing's eye. Then... it happened! Hannah came over and said..."You're not putting that thing on the tree this year are you?"

The tears streamed like a salty flowing river down my cheeks as I sat there holding that little pink fairy looking elf-like thing. I held her gently in my hands and pulled her to my heart. Through the tears and the grapefruit sized lump in my throat... I told her that the little pink fairy elf-like thing would be the first thing on the tree. I then explained to her that I remembered seeing that little ornament nestled in between the branches of my Mama's Christmas tree ever since I can remember being able to see up into the branches. My Mama always nestled cute little tiny dolls and such deep into the open branches of the trees that we had... kind of like they had their own little world inside there. What a child's mind can imagine while peeking into that world that only came around once a year.

I know that I have said many times that Christmas is not about trees, and shopping and gifts and lights and whatever else is so commercialized these days. But... I found my Christmas spirit in a box of old ornaments. It wasn't so much the ornaments themselves... it was each memory that every one of them held inside them. They reached inside my heart... and pulled out those memories. I sobbed as I remembered decorating my Mama's tree for her when I got old enough. Tonight I held the very crayons that my Mama tied red yarn to when my brothers were about three years old. We didn't have money for new ornaments... but we had crayons and red yarn! That year... and for many years after... her tree... and now mine... were adorned with multicolored crayon icicles. I have four left. The tape is old and yellow where the yarn is attached... and a couple of them look as though they got colored with some year prior... but they still hang on my tree... and I hope they will hang on my daughter's tree some day. My tree is full of little tiny memories that hang from each branch.

I know that Christmas celebrates the birth of Jesus Christ... at least for me... that is the true meaning. He gave the greatest gift of all. He gave his very life... so that we would have the opportunity to have eternal life in heaven. What an awesome gift! I believe that God gifts us with our memories as well. Each one so precious... so very rare and precious. Each one of us has our own unique memories... that are only for us. We can choose to share those memories with others... some... mere words cannot even come close to describing. Each one... is a gift from God. I am a firm believer in the fact that memories make us who we are. They are the remnants of the life we have lived... and the people we have loved... and the good times (and bad times) we have endured.

As I sorted through the boxes of ornaments... Hannah asked me... "Will you tell me the story behind each ornament?"

So I did. I shared each memory behind each one... with hopes that when she has children... and I am no longer on this earth... that the memories she has of me sitting on the couch sobbing over a little pink fairy elf-like thing... are tucked deep in her heart as she reaches inside herself to find her Christmas spirit... that warm and fuzzy feeling... the memories that last beyond all time and space... and that will live all the way into eternity.

posted by ~Suzii~ at 9:58 PM

4 Comments:

Blogger ............... said...

I'm so glad you finally found "it"! I miss you. Merry Christmas! Niecie.

3:42 PM  
Blogger Shelley L. MacKenzie said...

I too am glad you found your Christmas spirit :o).

7:31 PM  
Blogger Bonnie S. Calhoun said...

Hurrah, you've arrived...and not a moment too soon...Merry Christmas! That story was precious. I, too have many ornaments that have stories behind them, and I cherish each and every one!

12:38 AM  
Blogger Joe said...

Frankly, I think little pink fairy elf-like things are the best kind.

Merry Christmas!

3:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


MySpace Icons

About Me

My Photo
Name: ~Suzii~
Location: Elm Grove, West Virginia, United States

I live each day the best I can. I thank God for every tiny little thing that I have. I would like to write the book that is in my heart to write... or should I say... finish it. God sees us at the core of who we are... and He still loves us anyway. He is the reason and purpose I exist in this world... and He has entrusted me with a family to care for... and with a heart to share with others how much He loves everyone. (This is a note to self... "Bring ye all the tithes into the storehouse, that there may be meat in mine house, and prove me now herewith, saith the LORD of hosts, if I will not open you the windows of heaven, and pour you out a blessing, that there shall not be room enough to receive it. Malachi 3:10")

View my complete profile

I will call upon the Lord! Who is worthy to be praised! So shall I be saved from my enemies! The Lord liveth and blessed be the Rock! And let the God of my salvation be exalted!
MySpace Icons
MySpace Icons PREVIOUS POSTS
MySpace Icons

Powered by Blogger


MySpace Icons
JellyMuffin.com - The place for profile layouts, flash generators, glitter graphics, backgrounds and codes
Myspace Codes

If I speak in the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal. If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but have not love, I am nothing. If I give all I possess to the poor and surrender my body to the flames, but have not love, I gain nothing. Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres. Love never fails. But where there are prophecies, they will cease; where there are tongues, they will be stilled; where there is knowledge, it will pass away. For we know in part and we prophesy in part, but when perfection comes, the imperfect disappears. When I was a child, I talked like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child. When I became a man, I put childish ways behind me. Now we see but a poor reflection as in a mirror; then we shall see face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I am fully known. And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love. ~1 Corinthians 13~  

>
MySpace Icons