Lady Of Grace

...A Work In Progress...

When Jesus spoke again to the people he said, "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life." JOHN 8:12

FOR IT IS BY GRACE YOU HAVE BEEN SAVED, THROUGH FAITH - AND THIS NOT FROM YOURSELVES, IT IS THE GIFT OF GOD - NOT BY WORKS, SO THAT NO ONE CAN BOAST. FOR WE ARE GOD'S WORKMANSHIP, CREATED IN CHRIST JESUS TO DO GOOD WORKS, WHICH GOD PREPARED IN ADVANCE FOR US TO DO." EPHESIANS 2:8-10

Monday, September 04, 2006

"Determination"

Update to this post (Sept. 7, 2006)... God and I talked quite a bit... I will always ask Him for His strength... He also gently reminded me that with Him... ALL things are possible.

I was at the end of my rope last night. I sobbed from my gut. I cried to God... and told him that I am not going to ask for his strength any more. I told him that I figured that He probably sat up there in heaven and kept thinking... "It's your own fault that you are the way you are... what am I supposed to do if you don't do anything to help?" I told him that I figured that He probably thought... "How am I supposed to heal you... if you keep eating more stuff that makes you bigger... it can't help the healing process." I told him that I believed that He is the ultimate healer... and that I have begged for so long for a complete healing in my body... but that I was not going to ask anymore... because I am tired of the devil telling me... "See... your God can't heal you... because you are still hurting... aren't you?" I am tired of the devil taunting me and telling me that my God obviously doesn't have wonderful things in store for my life... how could he?... blah blah blah blah blah.............. I am sick of the devil's lies. I am sick of the thoughts against God that the devil puts in my head. So maybe... if I don't ask God and beg him anymore... maybe the devil will lay off and keep away from clouding up my heart.

Yep... I am hurting. Physically, my body feels like perhaps my doctor has misdiagnosed me... surely I should be in a hospital somewhere. Isn't that where they put people to get better? I cannot feel the keyboard to type. All of my fingers are numb... and the pain going up to each shoulder is intense... kind of feels like someone is holding a flamming torch across my skin that radiates all the way down to the bones inside.

Last night, I came home from working a 12 hour shift. I had to do my original job... then after that, because we are so short handed at work... and the cake decorator is on vacation... I had to do her job for several hours after I did my job. I hurt so bad. How do I explain to those around me that they don't realize that each step I took... felt like was going to be my last. My bulging disc that I have in my back was pinching off the nerves to both of my legs... the skin of my legs felt numb when I touched them. It caused my hip to feel like it was going to explode inside my body with each step I took... and just standing in one place. My knees popped and cracked with each step... I could audibly hear them... and had someone been standing next to me... they could have heard it too. My ankles were swollen so bad... they stuck out about an inch over the tops of my shoes. I could have dropped to the floor and screamed in agony. But I didn't... and I won't. I just suck it up and keep on going. Sometimes the pain is so intense... intense isn't a good enough word for it. My daughter has to help me out of the car sometimes. I have to hang on to her shoulders to make it to my front porch steps. I have to use the rail to pull myself up the mountainous 4 steps into my house. Someone that hurts as bad as me... feels like they should be dying... in an intensive care unit.

Do you think I am complaining? I am not. I am explaining.

Why am I explaining this on here? I am about to tell you why.

There is this man at work... he works in a different department in the store than I do... but his locker is right above mine to the right a little. He is the type of guy that thinks he is God's gift to women. His hair is always just right... his clothes... etc etc etc. When I first started working there... he and this tiny little blonde, perfectly petite, counterpart... (whose locker is on the other side with mine in the middle)... they were talking about "working out... dieting... etc." They both seemed extremely stuck up and severely narsisisstic... and I thought... "Oh God... why me? Why do I have to be stuck between these two?" So... that was my first impression of the guy. He always flirts with the other women... just kinda makes me sick.

He had never talked to me other than just "hi" at the lockers... gotta follow the Walmart "10 foot rule" smile and say hi. Almost two years working like that. Then... one evening... I was working a late shift. There we were... by the lockers again. I had brought a shopping cart back with me to the time clock because I was going shopping after work. I had parked it in his way. I said... "Oh, I'm sorry... let me move that out of your way." He said "Oh.... that's ok." Then he did whatever he needed to do at his locker... but then kind of lingered there. He kind of looked like he wanted to talk to me about something but wasn't sure how to. He kind of hem-hawed around. I came back from the time clock which is across the hall from the lockers... and I was limping just a little bit. I felt kind of uneasy... but I asked him... "Is everything ok?"

Well... when you open the door to conversation.... it really opens. He asked me "Can I ask you something personal?" I said, "Sure." He wanted to know how I get around so well... and not even seem to get out of breath. I thought for a little bit and the only thing I could think of was... "Determination." I told him that I had to make it every day... my family depends on me working to survive. Then I asked him why he wanted to know. He then said that he has a family member that is heavy... and she can't hardly walk at all without not being able to catch her breath. He asked if I had ever thought of having to become disabled. I told him... yes... when my back problems first started... I actually thought I was going to become disabled. But slowly I worked my way back from medical leave and took it really slow. I told him I take medications still... just to be able to function for pain management. I told him that I try to hold my head high and do the best I can every day. I also told him that there are days... that aren't as good as others... and I feel like crying as I leave the store at the end of my day.

He told me about his family member... (that I knew was his wife, because I have seen them together before)... that she was denied for disability. I told him about us having to fight for my husband's disability. I told him that I had to get all of his medical records and actually write to our congressman to get disability to change thier minds. I told him that if it is what she needs... to fight for it. I told him that I would help him/her if they needed it... to write letters or whatever.

He asked me about if I had ever thought of getting gastric bypass surgery. I laughed and told him... "yep... every day.... and I would be the first one to get in line for it if they offered it." I then told him... that obviously it is not for me... or it would be easier and less expensive... and I wouldn't have to fight insurance for it. He told me that his family member wants to have it done... NEEDS to have it done.

Our conversation was coming to an end... and he thanked me for talking with him about it. Then he said something to me that gave my heart wings. He told me that he thought very highly of me and thought that what I do and how I get around is very commendable.

It really put my first impression of him in a whole new light. My heart felt so light leaving the store that day. My pain... the stuff I was going through... and the dignity I have in myself... made a difference in someone else's life.

I really don't want to be heavy with medical issues for the rest of my life. I watched my mama die... and when she was living... I watched her in pain... I watched her struggle to get around... I saw her persevere every day of her life. I was always so proud of her for what she could do with what she had as far as her strength that came from within. I guess I inherited her inner strength.

So... the man at the locker... won't ever really know how bad I struggle every day... but I do hope that he notices that I keep smiling... even when I feel like crying.

I put my issues in God's hands. I am tired of feeling like I have to beg. I am tired of praying every day... for the same thing... and I bet God is tired of hearing it.

I will just be determined to do the best I can every day... and hopefully be an inspiration to someone else along the way... and maybe someday... I will wake up and notice a whole new me when I glance in the mirror.

We deal with what we deal with every day... don't we? I know God still loves me.

posted by ~Suzii~ at 5:18 PM

2 Comments:

Blogger ............... said...

*hug*--*smile*

1:45 AM  
Blogger Mountain Mama said...

Your story really touched my heart.
I have a weight problem too and also had excruciating back and right hip pain and was not able to walk at all part of the time. X-rays show that I have osteoporosis with severe bone loss, a herniated disk, a fractured vertebrae and arthritis.
I saw a surgeon who said I am not a candidate for surgery.
So what am I doing besides praying for strength to get through each day?
Well I use tylenol for pain when I need it, and I also use a rice bag. I know this sounds odd, but it really does help. I realize you couldn't do the rice bag at work, but you can at home. If you want to know how to make one, just e-mail me and I will be happy to give you directions.
God bless you.
posypockets@comcast.net

12:09 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


MySpace Icons

About Me

My Photo
Name: ~Suzii~
Location: Elm Grove, West Virginia, United States

I live each day the best I can. I thank God for every tiny little thing that I have. I would like to write the book that is in my heart to write... or should I say... finish it. God sees us at the core of who we are... and He still loves us anyway. He is the reason and purpose I exist in this world... and He has entrusted me with a family to care for... and with a heart to share with others how much He loves everyone. (This is a note to self... "Bring ye all the tithes into the storehouse, that there may be meat in mine house, and prove me now herewith, saith the LORD of hosts, if I will not open you the windows of heaven, and pour you out a blessing, that there shall not be room enough to receive it. Malachi 3:10")

View my complete profile

I will call upon the Lord! Who is worthy to be praised! So shall I be saved from my enemies! The Lord liveth and blessed be the Rock! And let the God of my salvation be exalted!
MySpace Icons
MySpace Icons PREVIOUS POSTS
MySpace Icons

Powered by Blogger


MySpace Icons
JellyMuffin.com - The place for profile layouts, flash generators, glitter graphics, backgrounds and codes
Myspace Codes

If I speak in the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal. If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but have not love, I am nothing. If I give all I possess to the poor and surrender my body to the flames, but have not love, I gain nothing. Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres. Love never fails. But where there are prophecies, they will cease; where there are tongues, they will be stilled; where there is knowledge, it will pass away. For we know in part and we prophesy in part, but when perfection comes, the imperfect disappears. When I was a child, I talked like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child. When I became a man, I put childish ways behind me. Now we see but a poor reflection as in a mirror; then we shall see face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I am fully known. And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love. ~1 Corinthians 13~  

>
MySpace Icons