Lady Of Grace

...A Work In Progress...

When Jesus spoke again to the people he said, "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life." JOHN 8:12

FOR IT IS BY GRACE YOU HAVE BEEN SAVED, THROUGH FAITH - AND THIS NOT FROM YOURSELVES, IT IS THE GIFT OF GOD - NOT BY WORKS, SO THAT NO ONE CAN BOAST. FOR WE ARE GOD'S WORKMANSHIP, CREATED IN CHRIST JESUS TO DO GOOD WORKS, WHICH GOD PREPARED IN ADVANCE FOR US TO DO." EPHESIANS 2:8-10

Saturday, October 20, 2007

Donald Ryan and Christopher Brian...

I have been thinking alot lately about my twin brothers. This picture was taken when they were about four years old. They were always so giggly! They brought so much joy to our lives! It is no secret here on my blog about my family life growing up. It was very difficult at times. My dad left for good when my brothers were about 18 months old. I was about 11 years old. My dad and I now have a much better relationship than we have had during times in my youth. Forgiveness is a wonderful thing... and love brings happiness where bitterness once was. (I love you... Dad!)

Anyways... this is about my brothers. Our Mama did her best to make sure that even if we didn't have alot of money... we had fun things to do. I kind of became the "do-er". I don't know how to explain it better than that. She worked full time in a sewing factory in the town that we lived in. She would get my brothers off to day care at a lady's home a few doors down... and I would go and get them after I walked home from school.

I would watch them for a little while until my mom came home from work. We were on welfare also... because during those days... I think my mom made like $3.35 per hour. There never seemed to be enough to make ends meet... but we did it somehow!

We had alot of fun times... even through the "stormy" times. Our mama would take us to the city park alot. We would play in the creek that ran through it.. during the summer. We found that the "free" things in life always seemed to be the best things! My family and I are still like that. We find more enjoyment out of driving around looking at the trees changing color... than we could going to the mall... or going out to dinner. The free things in life... are truly the best things.

I was reminiscing at work the other day with one of my co-workers about the days that I taught my brothers how to ride their bikes. The streets in our town were all flat. They were proper square blocks... and the roads were paved. The neighborhood we lived in was a newer developed part of town... it was quiet... and safe. Our mama used to sit on the front porch steps and watch us. Both of my brothers had bikes... and they both wanted to learn how to ride.

Well... our mama couldn't run around the blocks with them to help them... she was physically unable to. I will never forget how much joy I had in teaching my brothers how to ride! I would take one at a time. At first... I would stand beside their bikes holding them on it. I would more or less push them around the blocks. Letting them peddle and try to steer... but I was in control of the bike... but they needed to get the feel of what riding was like. At first we would just walk around the blocks... slowly. Then... I would do the same thing with the other brother. Each one would take a turn going around the block once or twice... then we would switch. Pretty much every day we would do this. Then... little by little... I would start to pick up the pace... jogging beside their bikes... but still holding on to them.

The smiles on their faces... feeling the wind in their faces... pure joy in my heart!

Eventually... I wanted to let go of their handle bars... and just hang on to their seats. They were scared... and I told them that they needed to trust me. I would not let them fall. I told them that if they started to fall over... I would be right there to grab the bars and help them out. We started this part out slowly too. Those bikes jiggled there way around those blocks... all over the place! But they never fell over!

After a while of doing that... once again... I would pick up the pace and run behind their bikes holding on to the back of the seats. One at a time... each brother learned. Around and around the blocks I ran holding on. Each time around... with each brother... they would get faster and faster... and the handle bars would get less wobbly.

After a few weeks of doing this over and over... and around and around... I was running behind them... and they were getting just too fast for me. I told them that I was going to let go of the back of their seat... but I would keep running behind them in case they started to fall over... I would grab them. They pleaded with me not to let go. I told them to trust me... and that they were doing good... and that they could do it......

and they did.

I finally stopped at the front of our yard one day... and each brother rode around and around all by themselves. I was so proud of them! I was in such good shape that summer!!!

My heart has been truly blessed by those memories.

I felt so much a part of their lives... how they grew... what they learned. My only hope is... I hope that my brothers can remember all of those good times they had as children. I don't see them very much any more. Don lives in Seattle... and Chris lives in Russia.

But... they live in my heart every day.

God has blessed us with each other. Our bond of love can span any amount of miles and time.

*For Chris... and Don... Love~Sissy~*

((as a later addition to this post... it just occurred to me about something.... perhaps in life... God hangs on to our bikes... just until we get the hang of it... little by little He lets us ride on our own... but isn't it comforting to know that He is always right beside us... ready to catch our seats when we start to fall over?))

posted by ~Suzii~ at 11:24 AM

3 Comments:

Blogger eirrann said...

Hey Sissy, just tried visiting your blog via internet explorer. It doesn't seem to work from firefox. grr. I thought you'd stopped posting...

Chris

5:59 PM  
Blogger eirrann said...

Now that I've read the post, I'll finish commenting :)

I remember you teaching us in weird, vivid flashes of imagery, like most of my childhood memories. The road over my handlebars, with your face in my perihperal vision and your hands holding me in a striaght line.

I don't remember ever feeling you let go. Just being surprised when I was doing it by myself.

Took me years to realize that I owe you thanks.

6:19 PM  
Blogger Mountain Mama said...

This is a beautiful story and I saw the Lord in it about halfway through. Yes He does stay close to help us in our times of trouble. If we feel that he isn't then I believe we need to work on having a closer relationship with Him so we feel His presence. It's nice that your brother commented on your post.
Blessings dear.

1:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


MySpace Icons

About Me

My Photo
Name: ~Suzii~
Location: Elm Grove, West Virginia, United States

I live each day the best I can. I thank God for every tiny little thing that I have. I would like to write the book that is in my heart to write... or should I say... finish it. God sees us at the core of who we are... and He still loves us anyway. He is the reason and purpose I exist in this world... and He has entrusted me with a family to care for... and with a heart to share with others how much He loves everyone. (This is a note to self... "Bring ye all the tithes into the storehouse, that there may be meat in mine house, and prove me now herewith, saith the LORD of hosts, if I will not open you the windows of heaven, and pour you out a blessing, that there shall not be room enough to receive it. Malachi 3:10")

View my complete profile

I will call upon the Lord! Who is worthy to be praised! So shall I be saved from my enemies! The Lord liveth and blessed be the Rock! And let the God of my salvation be exalted!
MySpace Icons
MySpace Icons PREVIOUS POSTS
MySpace Icons

Powered by Blogger


MySpace Icons
JellyMuffin.com - The place for profile layouts, flash generators, glitter graphics, backgrounds and codes
Myspace Codes

If I speak in the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal. If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but have not love, I am nothing. If I give all I possess to the poor and surrender my body to the flames, but have not love, I gain nothing. Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres. Love never fails. But where there are prophecies, they will cease; where there are tongues, they will be stilled; where there is knowledge, it will pass away. For we know in part and we prophesy in part, but when perfection comes, the imperfect disappears. When I was a child, I talked like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child. When I became a man, I put childish ways behind me. Now we see but a poor reflection as in a mirror; then we shall see face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I am fully known. And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love. ~1 Corinthians 13~  

>
MySpace Icons